It is not always so easy to navigate the path from girlhood to womanhood with joy, with intentionality, and with plenty of support along the way. Yet, this is what we want for our daughters.
As moms, what do we hope for our girls on their journey toward womanhood? We hope for her….
- To believe in her self-worth, regardless of popularity or looks
- To have good friends and to be a good friend
- To speak her truth – to power and to peers
- To claim her gifts, talents and strengths with self-confidence
- To be safe and to make wholesome choices
- To understand, honor and care for her changing body
- To enjoy life
We all deserve support. Our girls deserve support. As mothers, we need support. We do our best to figure out how to meet our child’s needs at each new developmental milestone while also maintaining our own balance. This is not always so easy. Helping our daughters to navigate the path from girlhood to womanhood is no exception.
What does it take to realize our hopes for our daughters? It takes community, vision and healing not only for our daughter, but also for us as her parent. Many of us as mothers are doing our best to guide our daughters while also negotiating the weight of our own wounding as women. We need support too.
Community Vision Healing offers a sharing circle that supports our girls on their journey toward womanhood. A sharing circle that supports us moms as women is also offered.
These are the principles that guide our circles.
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.